Bahamas Fishout

by Rich Catanzaro

After planning a trip to a remote island for nearly one year the day finally arrived and the newly formed BONE FISH TEAM from PFF departed the Peninsula for some obscure island.

All the stories and results of bonefish books swam in our heads as we arrived at the airport to depart for our adventure.

The plane ride, some five hours long, began to take its toll upon each of us. So what if there was some movie to entertain us on the flight. The time went by minute by minute. Perhaps it would be better put to say each grueling minute. Then it dawned upon us, it takes nearly five hours to reach destinations in Northern California.

Somehow, the trip no longer seemed to grind by. We reached our overnight lodging and gathered together to share our excitement of the upcoming adventure.

The advent of a new day found the PFF BONE FISHING TEAM ready to go. We gathered at the hotel cafe and made quick work of the breakfast.

The driver for the hotel loaded all our gear and passengers into the van. The driver, we soon learned, had no idea of where we were supposed to be. After making a stop at a competitive airline we got directions to our charter flight. More anxious minutes drag by and we find our pilot and aircraft.

Our gear is loaded and so are we. We?re airborne. The flight has no stewardess, no beverage, no meal, but we are on path to a remote island holding the lure of bone fishing.

Finally, the pilot informs us that we are arriving. Looking out the window we see lagoons, flats that appear to be endless, multi-colored water and vegetation. We do not see homes, building or other signs of human habitation.

Eventually, this small runway comes to view and we set down. We?re all teaming with excitement and anxiety to begin fishing.

Not so fast, we have to clear customs. There was no customs agent to be found. Everyone waited, including the pilot.

Finally, the customs agent came and collected our papers and fees. A taxi driver appeared and wisked us away to the lodge.

The lodge owner greeted us upon our arrival and we settled into the accommodations. Within a few minutes we were in the dining room having lunch.

After lunch some of us prepped gear, some of us walked around the area, but most of all we settled in for a week of bonefishing.

Early the first morning, following breakfast, everyone loaded on to the bus and traveled to the boats.

We had arrived and the excitement could not be contained. As we walked down the ramp to the boats - the captain of each boat paired off with two members of the BONE FISHING TEAM.

We were here and had no idea of what to expect. Little did we realize that the first hour and a half would be spent on a bone jarring ride to some remote part of the island. It turned out that because of the tides and winds this was the best area to fish. It was also physically demanding.

Hey, we?re PFFers. We?re tough. No one wanted the return ride. How did we do?

The very first pod of fish that Wayne and I came upon was somewhere over 500 bonefish. It was Wayne?s turn to cast from the boat, boy was I glad he was first.